Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week's worth of blog posts #2: iPods and getting lost


It is no secret: I love my iPod.

I realize it is completely outdated to love one's iPod--we've been doing it for years now--but I seriously couldn't get by without it. It's my treadmill companion, my cleaning buddy, my drive-eight-hours-to-my hometown friend. I like my iPod because it's a way to be lost. You're in the world, but not of it. I like being lost in a story (or little tiny stories within songs). I *need* to be lost in stories.

I have two of them, in fact, one for audiobooks and working out (the oldest) and one for calendar and ledger and music and such (the newest). And they both died. Last week. One while I was in Nebraska (no audiobooks driving home, sob sob), and one when I got home. When my very first iPod broke, I literally sobbed for 15 minutes. My husband was very confused. This time, I just quietly laid them away.

Sucky. Not like iPods are expensive, but they're not cheap. And which one do I choose when I buy another? Something big and fat to keep music/data/ear crack (that's audiobooks and podcasts) in? Or something sleek and easy for exercise?

Dunno.

Maybe I'll write a book where the main character stays lost in his/her iPod. Oooh, or maybe s/he'll have a romance through an iPod. Is that possible? Loading songs on each other's shiny pink and green boxes? Dunno. But an iPod seems a indispensable item for any young adult. Adolescence is the best time of all to be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment