Friday, August 27, 2010
Outlaw Boots, pair #2: Kurtis Scaletta
Today, friends, we have our second installation of Outlaw Boots, this time featuring middle-grade author Kurtis Scaletta. True confession: my kid loves Kurtis' books, which is enough endorsement for me, but I think Kurtis is awesome, too.
What does Kurtis write? Funny boy stuff (I love funny boy stuff): baseball games that get rained out for years and years (MUDVILLE), guys who have a thing for poisonous African snakes--in Africa (MAMBA POINT), and scary fungus run amok (THE TANGLEWOOD TERROR, out in Fall 2011)
Here's why he wears Outlaw Boots.
Who's your most outlaw character (in any book)--why?
- Sturgis Nye from Mudville. As a pitcher he's a fan of the beanball.
As a kid, he's gotten into a scrape or two. And his theme song is
"Outlaw" by The Cult!
Are you an outlaw too? How do you know?
- No, I'm very lawful. I don't even speed when I drive. Seriously.
What kind of shoes does your outlaw wear (you or your character--maybe
- Snakeskin cowboy boots.
Pirate, ninja, nerd, other outlaw title for you/your character:
- I like the cowboy-style outlaw. Jesse James or Butch Cassidy.
Best thing about being an outlaw:
- Playing harmonica.
Favorite outlaw food:
- Key lime pie and black coffee at a highway diner in the middle of nowhere.
Favorite outlaw role model/why:
- Robin Hood, because (at least in the legend) turned to crime out of
a sense of justice. But a version where he's a cowboy outlaw.
Tune in next month for the next installment of Outlaw Boots! Kurtis is one of my role models for how to write funny boy happenings, so I need to go read about Linus and his mamba.